Saturday 30 March 2013

Still Life Nude Using Gels


Still life, according to a recent visit to the Media Museum in Bradford, is meant to signify death and birth. A bit of a general statement but in essence that is what it was all about. Not sure whether I actually agreed with the sentiment but in the spirit of their view I decided to stick to the premise and do a still life that showed this. 
I wanted to do something a bit different though and being a great fan of the fine art nude, I decided to try and incorporate that into a still life. There was an image I had already come across that seemed to fit the bill and chose this to try and emulate.
The lily, in the meaning of flowers, is meant to signify remorse. I liked the idea of this and to keep to the birth/death theme, placing the flowers on a woman’s belly was fitting as it is where life begins and the fleeting life of a lily for death and remorse.
Bob Carlos Clarke. Available from: http://static.picassomio.com/images/art/pm-32559-large.jpg

My first task was to get a model. I put a casting call out to Pure storm and was lucky enough to get a response from a great model.
We arranged to shoot yesterday at my home as doing nude shoots at college is now not allowed.
Restrictions of a home shoot made it difficult to say the least. In college we have height issues in the studio and this is even worse at my home. Added to that is the further restriction of room around the subject.
My interpretation.

I did a couple of other versions. The initial assignment from college was to use gels but I also did a few with out. I also did a black and white conversion and out of all three I think I prefer the black and white version. Not really a surprise as it is my favourite type of image.



 




No comments:

Post a Comment