Saturday 20 April 2013

Update on Fuji Competition.

I was quite worried when I saw the first results from using the Neopan CN41 film. Other than shooting the background for the Fuji competition, I also did some other landscapes on the film. However, when I printed them out on black and white paper, the results were a lot less than I hoped for. I wanted a deep feel to the image and thought the CN41 would give me that. Advertised as retaining great detail in both h-lights and shadows, I hoped this would give me the depth I wanted. What actually came out though was a flat image. Yes it had the detail in all the areas I wanted but as a result the contrast was compromised.

It was with baited breath then that I went into the colour darkroom to try and print my selected background. Never would I get a true black and white print using colour paper, it was always going to come out sepia. I was worried that the sepia would be even more flat and lacking any depth. After getting to grips with the colour casts I was relieved to find that, on colour paper at least, there was a decent amount of contrast and now looking forward to getting the colour portrait nailed down and completing the project.


No comments:

Post a Comment