Sunday 9 December 2012

Back to School For Me


What to do? Trying to make a go of things as an independent photographer does not seem to be working. Getting a job working for someone else is having about the same success rate. It appears no one will employ you unless you have a formal qualification. Answer? Go back to school. 
Yes, I have decided to get some qualification in photography. Not as easy as it would appear at first glance. It would seem that I made this decision rather late in the day for this years admissions. I have tried a fair few places so far. One of the questions I need to ask myself is, do I want or need a full degree, foundation degree or just HND. Bare minimum needed I think is an HND. 
So far I have had an interview with St Helens College for a full BA(Hons). Not for me I think. From what the course tutor was saying it would appear it would be 3 years spent discussing WHY I want to take a picture, as opposed to how or what genre etc. Anyone who knows me will realise that such pontifications are not my thing. 
I have another interview at Stockport College next Thursday for a foundation degree but Stockport is such a long way out. Course would be good but a long old slog getting there. The good news though is that Southport College have made me a firm offer but subject to availability. This is for an HND and from the looks of things seems to be a fantastic course. If I don't get on the full time course though I may be offered a part time place. Part time is not ideal however, as funding may well be a problem. Anyway, I have decided to give a running commentary on my trials and tribulations as the course unfolds, if I get on it that is.

No comments:

Post a Comment