Sunday 9 December 2012

Been off college today as I am a little poorly. However, never let it be said that I lay beack on my laurels and laze around. I have actually been doing some research for an essay I have to write but also looking at another project I have to do involving black and white film. I have to produce nine images around the theme of mood, atmosphere, light and shade. Was unsure what to do at first and contemplated doing something along the lines of painting with light. Tried a few time to use this technique, with very very mixed results. Then while looking through the web at various artists and photographers I came across Jack Vettriano and Helmut Newton. Don't get me wrong, not like they are completely new to me, in fact I am a big fan of both their works. What did occur to me was how similar they were in style. Even though one is a photographer and the other a painter, their images have the same feel to them and luckily for me,they both use mood, atmosphere, light and shade. Here's a couple of examples for you, wonder if you agree. On the right is Helmut Newton's image Mannequin. Shot in a Paris hotel for Vogue I believe. I love the plushness of the image. A feeling of opulence, decadence and a time gone by. Even though it was done in the 70's there is a definite 1920's character to the scene.
Jack Vettriano's Around Midnight was produced even later (1996) but again has that vintage feel to it, like most if not all his paintings. This painting has an atmosphere of forbidden love. You certainly get the impression that the man in the shadows is not her husband.
So I have decided to do a series of images based around the theme of forbidden love and assignations using these two great artists as my inspiration and try also to get that vintage, maybe film noir edge to my nine shots. I don't make things easy for myself though. This now going to involve finding a suitable location or maybe more than one and a couple of models.

No comments:

Post a Comment